Healthy Kids Birthday Party Ideas
Healthy Kids Birthday Party Ideas….
We’ve all been there….. your child’s birthday is around the corner and you’re looking for party ideas. Organizing a birthday party for your child can be overwhelming. There is so much to think about, like how many kids you should invite… What theme should you choose? The list goes on.
So, it’s important to start early. However, one of the decisions typically NOT on the list – or rarely talked about – is what type of healthy foods can be served? Parents and caregivers just do not give much thought to ways they can make the party healthy so kids don’t go home wired on empty calories. A typical birthday party consists of a vast array of junk foods; from cake to ice cream – to cookies, chips, and soda. Parties are usually a haven to sugar, salt, and fat – essentially foods full of empty calories.
May we suggest, the next time you organize a birthday bash for your little one, try introducing healthy foods. There are a lot of suggestions on healthy birthday party ideas out there. If you need some recommendations their are multiple sites such as: Jamie Oliver’s website, Fresh for kids, The daily meal and, of course, a selfless plug for our own recommendation – “All-Natural Edible Stickers” for real fruit and veggies.
Throwing a healthy birthday party would be a welcome reprieve from the constant barrage of junk food. Often times, it feels like you are attending a party nearly every weekend. Its no wonder that junk food has become a large part of some children’s diet – contributing to the childhood obesity epidemic spawned by unhealthy eating habits.
Here are few suggestions:
- Keep it simple – Jamie Oliver explains on his website “To make sure your party isn’t full of kids avoiding the food and getting grumpy, stick to foods with well-loved ingredients and flavors. Think bananas, strawberries, apples, cucumbers, tomato, carrots, sweetcorn, avocado, maybe some peppers, and other straightforward veggies and fruits that you know your kids will dig.” read more
- The “daily meal” suggests replacing unhealthy foods like chips or takeout pizza with healthier options like pizza made from your kitchen engaging the kids in the process and served with vegetable chips. read more
- Let them “Play with their food” with All-natural edible stickers for real fruit and veggies designed for application on real fruit and veggies to make them fun, exciting, and engaging! The edible stickers are moisture sensitive made of completely all-natural edible ingredients and when placed on a fruit or vegetable absorb and dissolve into the fruit or vegetable. There are various stickers of full faces, face parts, and accessories that make fruit and veggies fun for children of all ages. visit our site
- Make smoothies by mixing various real fruit and vegetables to make delicious drinks instead of serving soda. Kids love delicious drinks they can sip, and these drinks are packed with healthy nutrients. Use nonfat yogurt (vanilla or strawberry), 100 percent orange juice, and a banana as the smoothie’s base, then experiment with a combination of cut-up fresh or frozen fruit. read more
- Serve water.
- Introduce cheese as hors d’oeuvres keeping it kid friendly by cutting them into fun shapes and sizes.
- Serve healthy muffins or bread such as Banana bread, zucchini muffins, and carrot bars.
- Offer low-fat yogurt.
- Serve hummus.
- Prepare a healthy combo of nuts, pretzels, whole grain cereal, banana chips etc.
These are just a few suggestions. With help from these recommended sites, you’ll amaze both parents and children with a healthy party they’ll always remember.